Saturday 1 November 2014

weekend escape with seafood to match

If you're looking for a luxury weekend getting away with meals to match, look no further than Rick Stein at Bannisters. Located in the sleepy town of Mollymook (approx 3.5hrs drive from Sydney), Bannisters is located on south coast with incredible panoramic views over the Pacific Ocean.


The interiors and staff exude a sophisticated, yet relaxed atmosphere, with a friendly, small-coastal-town approach to their suited table service. We sat right next to the window, and marveled at the menu in front of us, both al a carte and the wine list.

For my entree I ordered the seared scallops with serrano ham, sherry vinegar and parsley, and we also shared the various types of oysters for the table - Broadwateer Oysters from Pembula and Merimbula; Ewan McAsh's Clyde River Rock Oysters, and Tuross Rock Oysters; freshly shucked served with eschallot vinegar. Both dishes were delectable.



The main was a hard choice for all - so many choices! However I opted for their signature dish, the Bannisters Fish Pie (salmon, blue-eye trevalla, barramundi, scallops, mushrooms and prawns in a creamy fish veloute sauce with truffle, gratinated with breadcrumbs and parmesan). I must admit, when all the other dishes came out I have huge food envy. The very flat and small looking pie was was competing with the Bouillabaisse, Indonesian Seafood Curry and the Crispy Skin Barramundi...

The Fish Pie was the best I have tasted, and certainly didn't fill me like a main meal normally would. Lucky the other mains were quite large, and I my favourite meal of the day. The Seafood curry (with flake, squid and king prawns, served with green bean, fresh coconut salad and steamed rice was mouth-wateringly incredible. The flavours, the seafood, the presentation - I think I fell in love.



On to my other favourite meal - dessert. Another tricky choice, but I opted for the Valrhona Chocolate Mousse with chantily cream and salted caramel. I think it was the meer mention of 'salted caramel', seems to get me every time! It didn't disappoint, but my eye was all over the chocolate fondant as well, and I still wonder whether I should have ordered that (my other weakness is coconut ice cream)...

So much confusion over the food on offer, but this can only be a good thing. It's a breath-taking location, with a very friendly atmosphere, and teamed with incredible local and fresh seafood. The price is great for the calibre and experience. So if you're looking for a weekend away, make sure you check out Mollymook, Bannisters and of course Rick Stein's seafood restaurant.

Restaurant: Rick Stein at Bannisters
Total price: Approx $500 (for 4ppl)
Hours: Lunch Wed-Sun 12.30pm-2pm; Dinner Wed-Thu &Sun 6pm-8.30pm, Fr-Sat 6pm-9.15pm
Must order: Indonesian seafood curry




No comments:

Post a Comment