Monday 8 September 2014

weekend summer haunt

There are a number of cafes in Balmoral, but in my opinion it wasn't until The Boathouse entered the scene did I consider going out of my way to eat there... unless of course I was going to the beach! Opening in March 2013, The Boathouse Balmoral Beach brings rustic beach-side dining, local produce and a game-changing cafe to one of my favourite beaches.

The Boathouse Balmoral Beach | Exterior

The Boathouse Balmoral Beach | Fresh Flowers

If you don't mind lining up to order your food (I'm talking 30 minutes when it's busy) and acting like a seagull to get a seat (at the ridiculously tiny and hard-to-come-by tables), then you're in for a treat. The sun-bathed wharf gets the best of both worlds - the beautiful ocean view and the gorgeous beach.

We ordered the Quinoa bircher with greek yoghurt, apple, dates & nuts and a Bacon & Egg roll with BBQ sauce, tomato relish and tomato chill jam. I am ob-sessed with bircher muesli. Like seriously obsessed. And to combine the bircher technique with quinoa... I thought I'd be in heaven. But honestly, it was tasteless and I was so disappointed. The bacon and egg roll on the otherhand, was delicious. The relish and chilli jam really make it, and the egg was cooked just enough for the yolk to run (but not too much).

The Boathouse Balmoral Beach | Bacon & Egg roll with BBQ sauce, tomato relish and tomato chill jam

The Boathouse Balmoral Beach | Cappuccino

Would I go back...? I already have. It's definitely my favourite cafe in Balmoral, and is my weekend haunt during the summer.

Cafe: The Boathouse Balmoral Beach
Hours: 7am - 4pm
Price (for 2ppl): Food $30; Beverages $8.50
Must order: Bacon & Egg Roll
Coffee: Single Origin Coffee Roasters

The Boathouse Balmoral Beach | Quinoa bircher with greek yoghurt, apple, dates & nuts

The Boathouse Balmoral Beach | Table View

No comments:

Post a Comment